Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
For special events, Mom and Dad always made this slush. Obtained from "Canadian Lutheran Ladies Family Favourites Cookbook" by Bethesda Lutheran from New Norway, Alberta.
- 4 cups sugar
- 7 cups water
- 6 oranges
- 6 lemons
- 48 ounces pineapple juice
- 4 cups pineapple, crushed
- 6 bananas, mashed
- You also need an empty 4 litre ice cream pail or other container.
- Boil sugar and water.
- Juice the oranges and lemons, mix with sugar water, banana, and pineapple, and freeze in an ice cream pail.
- To serve by the glass, fill half the glass with slush and top with 7-up, ginger ale, or grapefruit pop.
- Add vodka or fruit-flavored alcohol for fun.
This is such a great recipe that we decided to add it to our Navy wives' club cookbook. We used to freeze the fruit mixture into rings, put the rings into a punch bowl and then pour the ginger ale over the top before serving. Very attractive, especially if you decorate the rings with whole strawberries or blueberries.
This was a hit at a party we had yesterday. I added an 85 g packet of strawberry jello for color. It was a delightful drink for these hot days. I halved the quantity of your recipe for a smaller crowd. It made 2 litres of slush mixture. Didn't have any oranges, so I left it out and used just 1.5 lemons for the half recipe. However I still used 6 bananas, as we prefer a stronger taste of banana. thanks for sharing
Very refreshing on the hot summer days. I halved the recipe with no problem. Thank you for a great slush!