Recipe by Fauve
This beats boring old banana bread any day! Frosting is optional, but if you have the time...what a treat!
Top Review by Franci
One of the best banana cakes I've ever eaten! Made exactly as directed but in a 13 x 18 sheet pan resulting in a thinner cake. The best part of this recipe is the frosting, a quick and easy caramel frosting. I will be making this cake again and definitely using the frosting recipe on other cakes.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2-3 medium bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together shortening and the sugars.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in bananas and vanilla.
- Combine flour, soda and salt in a separate bowl, then add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour into a vegetable oil-sprayed 13x9" pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool before frosting.
- TO PREPARE FROSTING: Combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool a bit.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar till frosting reaches spreading consistency.