Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
From: "The Vegetarian Epicure" by Anna Thomas, first edition 1972. This book was a real find! You may want to add a touch of orange, lemon or lime juice to the mashed banana.
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon ghee or 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- Melt butter in a skillet over low heat.
- Lightly crush spices together with a mortar and add to the butter, stir until fragrant.
- Stir in bananas and remove from heat.
- Stir in the yogurt and transfer to a serving dish.
- Chill well in the refrigerator before serving.
Great spice mix. The mashed bananas made it a bit soupy. Next time I'll just cut up the bananas into chunks.
I just smashed banana with my knife. It was really good. I think the balance of spice is the key.
Nice raita - but the bananas being mashed did make it rather slimy. Great taste though and mine was hot!!