Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe I found on the back of a Roger's Wheat Bran bag, only I tweaked it a little, and the results were fantastic!
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 small bananas, mashed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- *1 cup milk with 1 tablespoons lemon juice may be substituted for 1 cup buttermlk.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk; let stand ten minutes or so.
- Combine vegetable oil, egg, brown sugar, vanilla and bananas, then add to buttermilk/bran mixture.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add to first mixture and stir until just blended.
- Add raisins and spoon into greased or lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes and enjoy! :).
Great recipe. Very moist and quick to make. I doubled the recipe, and added cinnamon and peanut butter chips. Delicious! Thank you for sharing.
Wow! These are so moist and flavorful! Best of all they allowed me to use up my old bananas and the rest of the buttermilk in my fridge! The only change I made was to use crushed raisin bran in place of the wheat bran and I did have to use white flour. No matter, though as they turned out great! Thanks Sugar for this great new favorite!
Great recipe although I 'tweaked' yours (just as you did with the original....lol).....didn't have any raisins, so used sultanas....ran out of wholemeal flour, so topped up with whole bran....couldn't find the vanilla, so left it out, but they turned out lovely and moist and tasty. Greatly appreciate your recipe as my husband has high cholesterol and I'm always looking for new ways to make his food less mundane and whole bran is the way to go. Any more tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Tricia.