Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Moist sweet quick bread with a scrumptious icing that is so wonderful and easy to make. Definitely not an everyday blah out-of-the-box sort of thing.
For the Bread
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 236.59 ml pumpkin puree (canned ok)
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml salt
- 99.22 g box instant banana pudding mix
- 236.59 ml flour
- 236.59 ml sugar
For the Icing
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 44.37 ml evaporated milk
- 59.14 ml butter
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together wet ingredients for the bread.
- Separately, mix together dry ingredients for the bread and then stir into the wet ingredients, mixing until well combined.
- Grease bottoms and sides of 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and pour batter in.
- Bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean; cool in pan 15 minutes then finish cooling on a wire rack.
- When bread has finished cooling, begin preparing icing by mixing together icing ingredients in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils, and continue to cook and stir, until mixture reaches 236F on a candy thermometer or forms a soft ball when a drop is placed in cold water, about 5 minutes after cooking (very simple to do).
- Remove from heat and beat until mixture is nice and smooth and immediately spread on bread for an icing; DO NOT ALLOW TO COOL BEFORE SPREADING OR MIXTURE WILL HARDEN.
- Cool iced bread completely before slicing into serving pieces.
Delicious! Great combination of flavors. The dry pudding mix was a great idea. I'm giving 4 rather than 5 stars because I thought the batter was a bit too moist ... I cooked it 70 minutes - the inside was still a bit undercooked while the edges were getting too brown. I'll be curious to see other reviews to see if I was the only person who had this problem.
Excellant bread, the icing is the BOMB! Great use of ingredients, a true repeat recipe and a winner with me!
Very moist and good flavor. I added extra pumpkin (1-1/2 c) and only about 3/4c sugar and it was still a little sweet for my tastes. Next time I'll probably leave out the frosting, especially if serving it for breakfast but I loved the pumpkin and banana flavors together.