Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from one of my grandmother's sisters YEARS ago. It is a request at many family gatherings.
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) white cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packagejell-o banana cream pudding and pie filling mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups bananas, ripe and mashed
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
CRUNCHY BROILED TOPPING
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, bananas and oil and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes until smooth.
- Pour batter into lightly coated 13 X 9 inch baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Immediately after removing cake from the oven, top it with the broiled frosting return it to the oven under after preheating your broiler. Broil the cake and icing six inches below the heating element for about 3 minutes or until golden brown (WATCH CAREFULLY TO PREVENT SCORCHING).
- Cool for at least 1 hour before serving.
- BROILED TOPPING:.
- In a medium non-stick saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Slowing stir in the brown sugar and evaporated milk and mix well.
- Once the mixture is blended well, add the coconut and pecans and mix well.
- Place this mixture on top of the cake which has baked for 35-40 minutes, then return it to the oven per the "cake" instructions.