Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 mins
- Combine flour, 1 1/3 cups sugar and salt in a heavy sauce pan.
- Beat egg yolks; combine egg yolks and milk, mixing well.
- Stir into dry ingredients; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Layer one-third of wafers in a 3-qt baking dish.
- Slice bananas, and layer over wafers.
- Pour one-third of custard over bananas.
- Repeat layers twice. Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, and beat until blended.
- Spread meringue over custard, sealing edges of dish.
- Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
This is the recipe my Mother use to make and I had lost it. It is great. Takes a little time and patience but is certainly worth it. I doubled the custard part of the recipe for my family to really cover the wafers and bananas good and had little left over for my sister who doesn't like the bananas and wafers. Really enjoyed this one.
This is just like the recipe that my mom made when I was a child, and it is delicious. There is no comparison between this and the boxed pudding recipe. This is FAR superior. The only note I would make is that it only took 5 minutes for my meringue to brown, so watch the oven closely, don't walk away.