Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Homemade banana pudding
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 bananas
- In a large stainless steel bowl whisk together the 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt, eggs, and egg yolk.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup of the milk. Set aside while you heat the rest of the milk and sugar. Have ready a fine medium-sized strainer and bowl as you will need to strain the pudding after it is cooked.
- Pour the remaining 3 cups of milk, along with 3 tablespoons of sugar, into the saucepan and bring just to a boil.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, until the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer the pudding mixture to a clean large, heavy bottomed saucepan and place over medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of mayonnaise. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour through the strainer to remove any lumps that may have formed during cooking.
- Take 4 bowls or wine glasses and spoon a little of the custard into the bottom of each bowl.
- Peel and slice the bananas and place a layer of bananas over the custard in each bowl. Place another layer of custard and bananas, then finish off with a layer of custard.
- The puddings can be eaten right away or placed in the refrigerator for several hours.
- If you are going to place in the refrigerator, press plastic wrap onto the surface of the warm puddings to prevent a skin from forming.
- Just before serving garnish each pudding with whipped cream and more slices of banana.