Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I thought this was a very good recipe. I couldn't tell there was no sugar in the muffins. When I made this recipe I used the 4 tablespoons of the protein powder. I got this recipe from Obesity Help. It was posted by thekingskid.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 3 bananas (ripe & mashed)
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk (I use Lactaid Fat Free Milk)
- 1 cup applesauce (Sugar Free)
- 4 tablespoons protein powder (I use 4 scoops Vanilla Whey Protein )
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- Bake at 400 degrees.
- Grease muffin tins with Pam spray. Combine flour, Splenda, baking powder, baking soda, salt & cinnamon and mix together. In a bowl, beat egg whites with a wisk or fork. Stir in mashed banana, applesauce, nuts and milk. Add flour mixture and mix together. Spoon into muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the center of muffin to be sure cooked thru. Cool in pan for 5 minutes then remove and cool on a wire rack.
It's not great but it has a good texture to it. I changed the recipe the second time around to use more fruit and give it a sweeter flavor.<br/><br/> I increased the Splenda to .5 cup and used 1.5 cups of dried mixed fruit bits instead of nuts. <br/>I tried pumpkin pie spice instead of the cinnamon, and added a tablespoon of homemade vanilla extract. The dense wheat bread has a good spring to it and held up well in some fancy muffin pans, and the spiced bread makes a good compliment to the super sweet fruit bits. I calculated these at 130 calories and 7 grams of protein.
this recipe is great :) my boyfriend is a bodybuilder and since its hard to make him food/snacks that are healthy, i went on a hunt to find the perfect thing to make him. I've made him these the past 3 years, twice a year, valentines day and christmas. he absolutely loves them!! i use the 4 scoops of whey protein also..and they are a great pre-workout/post-workout snack!
Just finished baking these DELICIOUS healthy muffins! I made a few adjustments, used whole wheat flour, Lite Silk instead of milk, teaspoon of vanilla extract, and one scoop each of my banana creme and vanilla protein powder. Otherwise, wonderful recipe! My mix made 18 muffins. I used those paper muffin sleeves, which stuck to the muffins, so I sprayed the last batch with Pam and hope they come off a bit cleaner! I am so glad to have found this recipe!!!