Recipe by COOKGIRl
Another delicious recipe from the cookbook 1,000 Vegetarian Recipes by Carol Gelles. I've only prepared these waffles once, but next time I might add pecans or walnuts to the batter. The original recipe calls for ground poppy seeds so instead I used a pestle and mortar to lightly crush the poppy seeds to release the flavor. I'm always looking for a way to use up older bananas.
Top Review by Irmgard
I tried this recipe because I had some buttermilk and ripe bananas to use up. What a treat! The waffles bake up as light as a feather and I got exactly how many the recipe said I would so we have leftovers for our weekday breakfast. The only changes I made were to use canola oil instead of melted butter and I used 3/4 cup pasteurized egg whites, half of which I beat up to fold into the batter. Otherwise, I made the recipe as written. I served the waffles with maple syrup but my husband put some fresh blackberries and raspberries on his. I will definitely make these waffles again!
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (crushed lightly)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup mashed banana
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans (Or serve on side) or 1⁄2 cup walnuts (Or serve on side)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, stir together both flours, the poppy seeds, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the buttermilk, banana, egg yolks, butter,.
- and vanilla extract.
- In a clean bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in the egg whites carefully, Gently mix in nuts if desired.
- Grease the waffle iron and spread batter onto it. (How much batter depends on the size of the waffle iron.) Cook until the iron no longer steams, about 5 minutes.
- Add favorite toppings. I sprinkled on powdered sugar and drizzeld strawberry syrup on the waffle. Serve with nuts on top, too.