Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
These are incredibly unique and delicious, beautiful muffins. A Waitrose wowzer recipe, originally from The Providores. These were so good and looked so impressive.
- 250 g plain flour or 250 g all-purpose flour
- 120 g caster sugar or 120 g granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt (two pinches)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons canola oil or 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 200 g buttermilk (not Greek style) or 200 g plain yogurt (not Greek style)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 balls stem ginger in syrup, roughly chopped (about 2-3 Tbsp once chopped, candied ginger)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 bananas, peeled, sliced thinly into rounds (NOT mashed)
- 80 g bittersweet chocolate or 80 g milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar (Sugar in the Raw)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5 (~375 F). Line 12 regular sized muffin tins with cupcake liners or parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and ground ginger into a large bowl with two pinches of salt (go easy on this).
- In another large bowl briefly whisk together the egg, oil, buttermilk, orange zest and stem ginger. Add the mixed dry ingredients and poppy seeds until just combined.
- Slice the bananas thinly into rounds. Set 12 pieces aside and fold the rest into the muffin batter, along with the chocolate.
- Fill the prepared tins, then push a piece of the reserved banana into the top of each; sprinkle each with the demerara sugar.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven for around 18–22 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean from the center of the muffins.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the tins before removing to wire racks to continue cooling.