Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a great substitute for Banana Bread. It is very dense and very moist. The portions are very generous. This can also be frozen. This is not a super sweet bread. It satisfies my desire for something different. This recipe is courtesy of Joanna Lund. Each serving is only 158 calories. Diabetic Exchanges are: 1 Starch, 1 Fruit and 1/2 Fat. I cooked mine closer to 65 minutes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 (1/8 ounce) sugar-free instant banana cream pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup banana, mashed (1 ripe medium)
- 1 cup crushed pineapple with juice, undrained (8 ounce can)
- 1⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with butter flavored cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, dry pudding mix, baking powder and baking soda.
- Stir in pecans.
- In a small bowl, combine banana, undrained pineapple and sour cream.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture.
- Mix until combined.
- Evenly spread batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Place loaf pan on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan and continue cooling on wire rack.
- Cut into 8 thick or 16 thin slices.
- Note: Exchanges and calories is based on 1/8 of the loaf.
Okay, it's probably my own fault this didn't turn out great because I was trying to make it healthier and used mostly whole wheat flour, but it didn't rise at all and was overcooked on the crust. It also wasn't sweet enough, (probably because there's no sugar in the recipe).
I just finished throwing this together for one of the Zaar games involving healthy foods. Due to what I had in the pantry, I made the following substitutions: 3/4 cup white and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 ounce box of sugar free, fat free vanilla instant pudding, 2 VERY ripe bananas (they were pretty small) and light sour cream (that's all I had!). It is baking right now and it smells terrific. I will be bringing this to the office today and I will update my review later after they all eat it up. If by chance there are any leftovers, I will bring it home to my daughter who loves banana anything! Thanks for posting. Made for Healthy Choices ABC 2008. Ok, home from work and YES, they were a hit! Thanks again....hope you like the picture.