DH had this soup at a restaurant well before I had, and he loved it so much he took me there to taste it so I could re-create it at home. This is a very spicy soup, but could be made less spicy by substituting with a few yellow peppers (green throws the color off). Taste test your peppers as you're cutting them, the soup is bland if they're not hot. Serve with fresh bread and a beverage. I have also had a similar recipe using ground pork sausage, it was good- but I prefer the meat-less version. You can substitute something like yogurt for cream, but it changes the flavor and texture a bit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (reserve 1/2C)
- 6 ounces heavy cream (optional)
- 7 -9 banana peppers
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 -3 garlic, cloves- crushed to remove skin
- 8 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces flour, and water for thickening
- 1In a large skillet heat 2tsp olive oil, coarsely chop onion, and lightly saute them with garlic for about ten minutes.
- 2While sauteing: halve, clean and coarsely chop banana peppers.
- 3Add peppers and 1C chicken stock to pan, stir everything in and allow it to start to steam.
- 4Add to blender or food processor and puree with cream cheese and cream for several minutes, until smooth.
- 5Return to a deep pan, bring to near boil and thicken by SLOWLY adding cornstarch/water mixture until desired consistency is obtained. It should be just a touch thinner than chowder.
- 6Keep stirring.
- 7Use remaining chicken stock if you over-thicken it. Keep just below a boil for a few moments, stirring constantly.
- 8Add Parmesan- then salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Serve and Enjoy.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Pepper Soup
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 672.5
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 83.9 mg
- Sodium 1105.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 35.0 g