Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
canning pepper rings-the alum keeps the rings crisp, not mushy.
Make and share this Banana Pepper rings recipe from Food.com.
- clean and destemmed banana pepper, sliced
- 6 -9 cloves garlic (2-3 per quart)
- 3 3⁄4 pinches alum (1 1/4 per quart)
- 1 quart vinegar
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- place pepper rings packed tightly in jars, add garlic, divide alum between quart jars.
- In large pan put one quart vinegar, 2 quarts water, salt to taste and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bring this mixture to boil.
- Boil flats in water.
- Pour boiling mixture over pepper rings in jar, put on flats and rings.
- Let cool and check to make sure they seal.
I was looking for ways to use up the banana peppers from our garden when I can across this recipe. I had to scale the recipe way back as I had only planned on making 4 small jars. There seemed to be a very strong vinegar tastea dn I think I will use less next time, but the texture of the peppers was great and not mushy at all. DH always enjoys pickled banana peppers on his subs at Subway and now he can enjoy them at home too :)
Peppers were too mushy!!