Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
I think this recipe came from a William-Sonoma catalogue years ago. It's sinful. I'm not sure of the yield. It depends on the size of the waffle iron.
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 2 cups pure maple syrup
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 very ripe bananas, peeled,and pureed
- Soak the raisins in rum for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan bring to a simmer the maple syrup.
- Add raisins and rum.
- Stir and keep warm.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar into a large bowl.
- In another bowl beat the egg yolks.
- Add buttermilk, butter and banana puree.
- Stir in the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In a separate mixing bowl whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour onto a hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes, Serve with warm rum-raisin syrup.