Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Woman's World Magazine 12/7/04. Pecans and chocolate chips add a flavorful twist to this traditional banana spice cake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Spread pecans over ungreased baking sheet. Bake 3-4 minutes until lightly browned. Cool.
- At low speed beat cake mix, oil, water, eggs and banana 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes. Stir in pecans and chocolate chips.
- Divide batter between pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool on racks 20 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on racks.
- Transfer 1 cup frosting to pastry bag fitted with star tip. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread cake with remaining frosting. Pipe rosettes onto cake. Garnish with pecans, if desired.
Delicious and easy to do and a great use of sad, black bananas. I frosted half but it really is not needed as the choc chips make it sweet enough. I did this in a lamington tray so it was quicker to bake than if done in a standard cake tin.