Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This pie was inspired by Wendys Kitchen's delicious Strawberry Pie which is made of nothing but raw fruit and nuts. (Well, and a little splash of vanilla.) Cooking time is chilling time. This pie tastes very good, but it does turn brown fairly quickly. I will try 2 Tblsp lemon juice next time.
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 dates, pitted
- 3 bananas, fairly ripe
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 3 bananas, ripe
- 1 tablespoon pecans, chopped
- Pie shell: Grind the pecans, dates, and vanilla in a food processor until finely ground. Press mixture evenly into a pie plate.
- Binder: Blend dates, bananas, and lemon juice in the food processor until smooth.
- Fruit Filling: Cut bananas into 1/4 inch circles, fold into the binder, and fill the pie shell.
- Topping: Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon of chopped pecans on top, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a couple hours.
i LOVED this pie! the crust is absolutely amazing - and so simple! much quicker than a baked pie. it's treats like this that make the raw diet do-able. my roommates (who are NOT raw food-ists) had mixed reviews, however. One liked it, and two thought it was strange. I, however, have been waiting to get home to have another slice all afternoon! I highly recommend it for raw food eaters!
GREAT PIE, REALLY GREAT, & easy to make, too! I did take the suggestion & uped the amount of lemon juice, but can't say for sure how well it worked, 'cause the pie didn't last very long around here! I used Medjool dates (my favorite) & was sorely tempted to toast the pecans, but didn't! Thanks for a nice recipe keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my Raw Food partners in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 10]