Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Cooking Light website. Something different to make with over-ripe bananas (this is the key to a strong banana flavour--the more spotted the banana the tastier.) The biscotti are very small "baby-finger" sized--probably how they earned a low calorie rating!
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup mashed banana, about 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease your cookie sheet.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add sugar and salt and stir together.
- In another bowl combine all the wet ingredients: banana, oil, vanilla and egg.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ones along with pecans; stir together.
- Flour a board and turn dough out onto it. Form two 8-inch logs. Put onto cookie sheet and pat down to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Bake at 350°F for 23 minutes.Turn oven down to 250°F.
- Remove logs from cookie sheet and cool for 10 minutes.
- Then cut into about 1/2 inch slices and bake 15 minutes at 250°F.
- Turn biscotti over and bake another 15 minutes.
- *Biscotti will still be soft but will harden as they cool.
Mine didn't harden as much as I would like, but, they are delicious. 1/2 way between hard and chewy...yummm. I used 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 all purpose flour...worked great.
Even less fat??:::: I decided to go with 2 VERY RIPE bananas because they were smaller, but not tiny. I followed the recipe but forgot the vegetable oil. It was too late when I discovered it. They were already baking the first round. I lined the pans with parchment and then sprayed with cooking spray. Everything else was verbatim and wow. Great biscotti. You don't need the extra fat if you do it my accidental way. It worked perfectly. Why add the oil? Use an extra banana, I promise you! 5-stars. Thank You!!
I made these for baby teething biscuits. Worked out perfect. They dissolve nicely without breaking off into pieces I would worry about the baby choking on. This makes about 2-3 boxes worth of store bought biscotti. I put slices almonds in the ones for me and used whole wheat flour. Really love these and will be making them again, thank you for the recipie!