Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
If you've never had a beignet, they are simply delicious!! Light airy pillows of fried dough something like a French donut ^_^
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup pecan pieces
- 1 large banana, diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- cane syrup
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- powdered sugar
- Melt butter in skillet on medium heat. Add brown sugar and heat, stirring constantly to dissolve, about 1 minute. Add pecans and continue to cook 1 minute. Add bananas and vanilla, cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Make a batter by combining beaten eggs, milk, cane syrup, cinnamon, and baking powder. Add the flour, 1/4 cup at the time, beating and incorporating until all is used and the batter is smooth.Add the banana mixture to the batter and fold to mix.
- Heat the oil to 360 degrees F. Drop the batter by a heaping tablespoon at a time, into the hot oil. When the beignets pop to the surface, roll them around with a slotted spoon in the oil to brown them evenly.once they are light brown Remove and drain on paper towels. they may burn quickly.
- Sprinkle the beignets with powdered sugar. Serve the beignets warm. enjoy ^_^.
The texture and flavor was wonderful. The only problem I had was knowing how much cane syrup to use in the recipe. I was afraid it would be too sweet with the banana nut caramel mixture, so only used 1/4 cup. It needed more. Otherwise, absolutely delicious as written. I served with cafe au lait, of course.