Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This bread is the best banana bread I have ever made. I didn't have enough of the ingredients I needed for banana bread so I improvised and the outcome was wonderful! I have to post this one so I will remember how to make it again. Entire family loved it.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Splenda granular (sugar substitute)
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 bananas (very ripe)
- 1 (15 ounce) candiced canned pears (drained)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup chopped pitted dates
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 2 loaf pans.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, sugar, Splenda, vanilla, orange extract, and eggs.
- Put into your blender 2 peeled bananas and half the can of pears (not juice). Puree.
- Stop blender and add cinnamon and enough pears to equal 2 cups of puree total. Blend again until all is smooth.
- Add the flour, soda and salt to the bowl of creamed butter and sugar mixture.
- Now add the fruit puree and the sour cream to the mixture and mix well.
- Fold in chopped dates.
- Scoop half the batter into each loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour.
- After 1 hour test center of loaf with a toothpick, if it comes out clean your bread is done, if not bake another 10 minutes and try again.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
This made for a lovely cake, I did a half batch and used dried nectarines in place of dates, lovely & moist & lasted well for a few days. Thanks for posting!
My 1st attempt at this (a small loaf set of 8) didn't want to set up. The baby loaves just kept a soggy texture no matter how long I cooked them. I wasn't sure if it was the liners or just the mix so I did away with the liners & added maybe 1 cup of oatmeal to help the texture. This batch turned out nice after cooking about 35 mins. Then the next 2 batches I added a little more oats & som chocolate chips. Yumm! my family likes them too but they are to hand out to the neighbors so they can't have anymore, (only the squishy one's). Thanks for sharing. I like the idea of using my pears.
Superb! I didn't use the Splenda...just used sugar instead. We loved it...it's much lighter than most fruit breads...I baked it for 70 minutes and it was perfect. Thanks very much!