Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
These are yummy South & Central American in flavour/ingredients. A gluten free version of Ban Pan O La With Café Navarro Mango Syrup based on Delicious Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Pancakes. "Brazil is the leading banana grower in South America—about 3 million tons per year, mostly locally consumed, while Colombia and Ecuador are the leading exporters. Venezuela's crop in 1980 reached 983,000 tons. Large scale commercial production for export to North America is concentrated in Honduras (where banana fields may cover 60 sq mi) and Panama, and, to a lesser extent, Costa Rica." http://www.hort.purdue.edu.
- 1 cup rice flour (brown or white or mix of both)
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1⁄3 cup potato starch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it's gluten free!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon guar gum
- 2 eggs (can use egg replacer to be egg free)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 -1 1⁄2 banana (half chopped & half mashed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon alcohol free vanilla (or vanilla paste)
- In a bowl, mix or sift together the rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and guar gum. Stir in eggs, water, coconut milk, vanilla, canola oil and mashed banana until well blended and few lumps remain.
- Stir in chopped banana.
- Heat a large, well oiled skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Spoon batter onto skillet and cook until bubbles begin to form. Flip, and continue cooking until golden brown on bottom. Serve with your choice of topping.
I sometimes shy away from recipes like this that have a more than 1 or 2 ingredients that I don't have on hand, but this time I went all out to get what was needed! So glad I did, too, 'cause THESE PANCAKES ARE WONDERFUL, & they were served topped with a bit of homemade blueberry sauce! Thanks for the wonderful experience! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Fab pancakes - mine were based around this recipe but not gluten free. I had no guar guar or tapioca flour and used real eggs. Coconut milk was great addition.