Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
- 1⁄2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 5 5⁄8 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add egg; beat well.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to banana mixture in bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until golden. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
I had 1 lonley banana that I needed to use up and these cookies fit the bill perfectly! I used quick cook oats b/c my family likes the texture better. Even though there is only 1 banana, you can still get a good banana flavor from these cookies. I increased the chocolate chips to 3/4 cup.
I used 1 cup spelt flour, and added 1/4 cup sunflower seeds and 1/8 cup flax. It had a "cake-like" texture, which I find always happens when you try to make cookies more healthy!
I saw this recipe in Cooking Light and decided to give it a try. Thanks for posting it here. I made these cookies with Egg Beaters and 3/4 regular flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour; and I added 1/4 cup walnut pieces. I wasn't blown away by these cookies the night I made them. However, the next day, they were so much better. I think the flavors and texture needs a few hours to develop. The sweet-aholic in me would love it if they had a bit more sugar, but hey, you can't have everything in a light cookie. The cooking time of 18 minutes was way too long. I baked them 12 minutes.