1/7 Photos of Banana-Oatmeal Bread
1 hr 5 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
I love bananas and oatmeal, so when I saw this in the September 2004 issue of Cooking Light, I just knew I had to make it! I wasn't at all disappointed. The oatmeal makes it hearty and somewhat chewy, while the bananas and buttermilk make it sweet and moist - yet it is not as sweet or sticky-moist as some other banana breads I've had. This makes a smaller loaf than some recipes. I made 2 mini-loaves instead of one large one, and they were done in 30-35 minutes. EDITED to mention- Since I posted this recipe, I've made it several times. It has become THE banana bread recipe for this household, and when I give it as gifts it never fails to receive compliments. It is extremely versatile also. I have made it with yogurt in place of buttermilk, walnut oil for the vegetable oil, and I have cut back the sugar and added cinnamon as a couple reviewers suggested. This last time I made an eggless version by substituting 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed + 6 Tablespoons water for the eggs. (I think next time I will try a vegan version by also replacing the buttermilk with soymilk.) Every time it has turned out perfect!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- 2Combine dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- 3Combine banana, buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and eggs in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- 4Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir gently just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- 5Spoon batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 6Cool on a wire rack, in the pan, for about 15 minutes (I left mine in longer and it was fine).
- 7Remove the bread from the pan after 15 minutes and cool thoroughly on the rack.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana-Oatmeal Bread
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.6
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 31.2 mg
- Sodium 139.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 4.7 g