Recipe by ladypit
Yummy muffins with only fruit as the sweetener. Also, no flour only oat bran. This is the second recipe I have tried from "Sweet & Natural; Desserts without sugar, honey, molasses or artificial sweeteners" by Janet Warrington. This is definitely not a cupcake, but a good solid muffin with good nutrition. My kids liked them with jelly or a little spray butter (Hey, we can't eat perfectly ALL the time!). Dense and moist these are a nice breakfast or snack. I used frozen banana because I have a ton of bananas in my freezer, plus I think it mashes more easily. But feel free to use what you have!
Top Review by Caroline G.
Reminded me of oatmeal with a crunch. Here's what I tweaked: 2c oat bran No oil. Used 1/2 c apple sauce instead. 2 egg whites (but I had planned to use a boiled mix of 1 Tbsp flax seed meal and 3 Tbsp water but the meal was MIA) 2 Frozen bananas (microwave defrost setting for 3 min) 1/2 c diced dried prunes. 1/2 c almond milk instead of cows milk. Baked for 25 min at 350 degrees in silicon muffin cups with a bit of cooking spray set on a sil pat rack (holes in it). I took other reviewers advice and put the prunes in the wet ingredients. Makes 12 muffins about 1/4" from the top of the cup. They don't rise much at all.
- 2 1⁄4 cups oat bran
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425°F Spray your muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine the dry ingredients in 1 bowl.
- In another mix the banana, the milk, egg whites, and oil together until they are well combined.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix until it is combined. Then add the raisins and combine.
- Put them into the muffin tins.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until golden.