1/1 Photo of Banana-Nutmeg Cream Cake
This cake is a great way to use up over-ripe bananas. It will become more moist and flavorful the longer it chills. It makes use of a yummy whipped cream based frosting!
My Private Note
2 layer ...
Units: US | Metric
- 414.03 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 3.69 ml salt
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml banana, very ripe, mashed
- 158.51 ml buttermilk, divided
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml pecans, finely chopped
- 709.77 ml whipping cream
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar, sifted
- 7.39 ml ground nutmeg
- 1Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Add the banana, 1/3 cup buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Beat at a low speed of an electric mixer until blended. Beat an additional minute at high speed. Add remaining 1/3 cup buttermilk and egg yolks, and beat at a high speed 1 minute or until blended.
- 2Beat the egg whites at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and the sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes). Fold the beaten egg whites and the pecans into the banana mixture.
- 3Pour the batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- 4For frosting: Beat the whipping cream in a large mixing bowl until foamy; gradually add the powdered sugar and nutmeg, beating until soft peaks form.
- 5Spread 3 1/2 cups Nutmeg Whipped Cream between the layers and on top and sides of cake. Spoon remaining Nutmeg Whipped Cream into a decorating bag fitted with a large star tip; decorate cake. (Or you can just put as much whipped cream as you'd like between the layers and on top, and forget about decorating!) Cover and chill. Prep time does not include the time for cooling the cake layers before frosting.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana-Nutmeg Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1881 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6154.0
- Calories from Fat 3522
- Total Fat 391.3 g
- Saturated Fat 182.6 g
- Cholesterol 1407.7 mg
- Sodium 3956.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 626.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.7 g
- Sugars 415.8 g
- Protein 62.0 g