From Vegan-a-Go-Go. They didn't give specifics for the type of flour or the type of milk, I chose whole wheat flour & almond milk this time, in order to get the right nutritional data.....it sounds like nearly any flour or milk would work. Haven't tried yet....but plan to!
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour (or sub flour of your choice)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil (or any light oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup almond milk (any vegan milk will do)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F/190 degrees Celsius In a large bowl mix together the first 7 ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl, mash up the bananas quite well then add in the oil, vanilla and milk.
- Combine the banana mixture with the flour mixture and blend until "just" mixed.
- Spoon into a lightly oiled muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Absolutely fantastic! I made these into about 24 mini muffins and wouldn't change a thing in the recipe. (shorten the cooking time a bit for minis though.)
I was very happy with this muffin---it rose sufficiently to look nice on a tray; it was moist and not heavy or leaden as some vegan/whole grain muffins can be. I used whole wheat, organic unbleached white and oats and I used light coconut milk. I added raisins and walnuts. Good stuff!
This is a great vegan muffin! It was easy to make and had a great texture. Mine didn't rise very much, but maybe I need to replace my baking powder. I used spelt flour and turbinado sugar. I subbed chocolate chips for the nuts (personal preference). I will definitely make this again! Made as a "recipenap" for Veggie Swap.