Recipe by Alan Leonetti
This was one of my mother's recipes. My brother and I each had our favorite cakes, and this was my brother's favorite that my Mom always made for his birthday.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed banana (2 large ones)
- 2 egg yolks (slightly beaten)
- 2 egg whites (stiffly beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (4 oz.)
- chocolate frosting (canned/ready made)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, sift flour, salt& baking soda together.
- In another large mixing bowl add butter or margerine& mix until creamy, soft& smooth.
- Gradually add sugar& mix until fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla& slightly beaten egg yolks.
- Add the mashed bananas.
- Mix the tablespoon of vinegar into the 1/2 cup of milk to sour the milk.
- Add the flour& sour milk& beat real good.
- Add the nuts,& fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Grease& flour 2 cake pans,& pour the mix evenly into the 2 pans.
- Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven& place one of the layers onto a cake plate.
- Generously smear the frosting atop the first layer& then place the second layer on top of the frosted first layer.
- Generously frost the entire cake on the top& completely around the sides.