Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a variation of a recipe that is posted on the web. I used some lower fat items as well as reducing the amount of sugar by using half Splenda sugar substitute and half sugar. It is wonderful, rich and creamy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 2 eggs, beaten (I used egg substitute.)
- 1 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup Splenda)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecan pieces
- Combine the milk, half and half, eggs, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon.
- Refrigerate until mixture is thoroughly chilled.
- Combine the cooled custard with the banana, vanilla and nutmeg in blender container, blending well.
- Add the pecan pieces and pour into freezer container.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
This was really tasty, but I think I'll cut the sugar back next time. I used the 1/2 Sugar 1/2 splenda and a pretty ripe banana. Maybe next time 3/4 c. total sugar & splenda. Dh said this was like bread but better, because it's icecream (?)