Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups dates
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 bananas
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 10 cups rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped nuts or 1 1⁄2 cups seeds or 1 1⁄2 cups coconut (or less)
- Bring water and dates to a boil in a covered saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Let stand 5 minutes, then blend in blender with all but oats and seeds or coconut.
- Stir all ingredients together.
- Spread on two cookie sheets.
- Bake at 225 degrees for 2 hours, stirring.
- Put in a air tight container until ready to use.
Made this for my grandkids, they are so into the sweetened cereals, this seemed like a healthy alternative. They loved it.
Not too sweet (like most Granola) but certainly my new favorite healthy snack!
This recipe needs to be revised. It became delicious once I halved the oats and doubled the banana/date mixture. I also boiled the sweetened coconut in with the dates and blended that and it worked very well. Also, I added some pumpkin pie spice mixture and extra nutmeg and cinnamon, wheat germ, flax seeds, and brown sugar. Thanks for inspiring me to do this twice.