Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe online and just had to pass it on.It is a A+ Scone recipe 8)
Make and share this Banana Nut Chocolate chip Scones recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, cold
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup banana, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Heat oven to 400.
- In large mixing bowl,combine flour,sugar,baking powder& soda& salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal,& set aside, In medium bowl,mix buttermilk,vanilla extract,egg whites& the banana.
- Add to dry mixture just until combined,blend in the chocolate chips.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface,& knead lightly.
- Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Pat dough into a 9-inch circle on the cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the nuts& brown sugar over dough,and gently press into dough.
- Cut dough into 12 slices.
- Bake 20 minutes.
I found the ratio of dry to wet inredients in this recipe to be off; I could not make a dough for the life of me. As a result, the "batter" was extremely lumpy and the finished product the same. Perhaps there was too much flour; I'm not sure if decreasing it would work if everything else was left the same. I baked this like other scones: scored the 9-inch circle before baking and separating afterwards, but the centre did not cook. These scones had ok flavour but were SO heavy in the stomach. With some tinkering, this could be a much better recipe.