One of the better recipes for banana cakes. I have made this many times, it is very good. Make certain to mash the bananas not puree them, it makes a difference in the cakes texture, I mash with my hands for this.
- 1 3⁄4 cups ripe bananas, mashed (about 5 medium, not pureed)
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (no subs)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk (full-fat buttermilk is better to use for this cake)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the mashed bananas with lemon juice; set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the 3/4 cup butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes) or until no sugar granules remain.
- Add in eggs one at a time with vanilla, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture with a wooden spoon (do not beat).
- Add in walnuts; stir to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until cake tests done.
- Cool completely, and frost with cream cheese, or desired icing.