Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe was developed with Kellogg's All Bran cereal I have never used any other bran cereal for this so I cannot guarantee good results with anything else --- if desired a crumb topping can be sprinkled on top, see my Kittencal's Banana-Almond Muffins With Almond Streusel for the topping mixture.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup hot buttermilk (heat in microwave until hot)
- 1 cup all-bran cereal
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup pureed banana (1 cup is okay also)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- Set the oven rack to second lowest position.
- Spray 12 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray, and line with paper liners.
- Set the muffin trays on a baking sheet (the baking sheet is optional).
- In a medium bowl stir the HOT buttermilk together with the All Bran cereal, and let stand for about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile puree the banana.
- After the 6 minutes, transfer the bran mixture to a large bowl, and add in the pureed banana; mix to combine.
- Mix the two sugars together, then add to the bran/banana mixture with the egg, vanilla and oil; blend well to combine.
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon; add to the banana mixture; mix gently to make a soft batter.
- Fold in nuts and raisins (if using).
- With an ice cream scoop, divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups.
- Bake about 22-28 minutes or until muffins test done.
- *NOTE* Although it is not necessary, I like to place the muffin tins on a baking sheet to bake in the oven.