Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
This recipe was developed with Kellogg's All Bran cereal I have never used any other bran cereal for this so I cannot guarantee good results with anything else --- if desired a crumb topping can be sprinkled on top, see my Kittencal's Banana-Almond Muffins With Almond Streusel for the topping mixture.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup hot buttermilk (heat in microwave until hot)
- 1 cup all-bran cereal
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup pureed banana (1 cup is okay also)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 chopped walnuts (optional)
- Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- Set the oven rack to second lowest position.
- Spray 12 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray, and line with paper liners.
- Set the muffin trays on a baking sheet (the baking sheet is optional).
- In a medium bowl stir the HOT buttermilk together with the All Bran cereal, and let stand for about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile puree the banana.
- After the 6 minutes, transfer the bran mixture to a large bowl, and add in the pureed banana; mix to combine.
- Mix the two sugars together, then add to the bran/banana mixture with the egg, vanilla and oil; blend well to combine.
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon; add to the banana mixture; mix gently to make a soft batter.
- Fold in nuts and raisins (if using).
- With an ice cream scoop, divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups.
- Bake about 22-28 minutes or until muffins test done.
- *NOTE* Although it is not necessary, I like to place the muffin tins on a baking sheet to bake in the oven.
Flavorful and easy to make, they were moist. Added walnuts and used very ripe bananas. I will make these again.
Wonderful recipe enjoyed by the family. I followed the recipe exactly and only added raisins and a topping of 1/4 c. flour, 2/3 c. brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 Tbs. soft butter & 1/3 cup chopped nuts.( NOTE: the topping is enough for 24 muffins). They were absolutely delicious. HOWEVER, there was left-over batter that could have filled a couple mini-bread pans had I been prepared. I filled the cupcake liners to the top but ended up throwing out the extra batter since I had nothing to bake it in. Why not make this note on your original recipe?
One week later: Just made the second batch and used a 21/2 X 5" pan for the excess batter. Still delicious!
Thank you for the terrific recipe! I am always looking for a way to bring more fiber into our diet... after reading some of the other reviews I decided to try 1 batch as written -- Kittencal's recipes are always great the way they are!!! When that batch was gone in less than an hour, I doubled the recipe, and made a couple of changes....adding 1/2 cup of flax seed meal/wheat germ blend, 3/4 cup of craisins. Wonderful! (With the doubled recipe I got 12 jumbo muffins and 2 mini loaves) Thank you again Kittencal for delicious muffins!