Prep 48 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe that was given to me when I worked at Baptist Hospital in Knoxville, Tn. The bananas are soaked for 2-3 days in white rum.
- 4 -5 bananas
- 1⁄2-1 cup white rum
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (I use black walnuts)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Mash bananas and pour enough rum over top of them to cover and let set 2-3 days. (Rum amount above is a "guestimation" because I just cover the bananas with it.)
- Mix sugar and vegetable oil.
- Add eggs and banana mixture and beat.
- Add remaining ingredients, mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour in a loaf pan.
This was a good, dense, banana bread. I marinated the bananas for 3 days just barely covered in the rum. We couldn't 'taste' the rum per say, but it had a nice flavor.