Prep 8 mins
Cook 45 mins
This quickbread is naturally sweetened with bananas and applesauce. Nuts add healthy fats and great flavour. This is great for breakfast or as a snack bread. I hope youll enjoy it as much as we do! :)
- 125 g whole wheat flour (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or splenda)
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50 g cashew nuts, chopped (or any other nut for that matter)
- In a big bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon.
- In a second bowl puree the banana and mix with the applesauce and egg.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Fill dough into a prepared mini loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for 30-45 minutes or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. You might need to cover the bread in order to prevent overbrowning. Check for this after 25 minutes.
Really good bread :D I discovered a little too late that my applesauce had gone bad, so I used veggie oil instead. I also added a little extra sugar. That kinda defeats the point of it, but it still tasted amazing :D I usually use walnuts in my banana bread, but I really enjoyed these cashews :D I'll be using them from now on. Thanks for this awesome recipe! :D
I love the health factor! I used 3 med bananas and added a small splash of vanilla (about 1/2 a tsp) and used pecans which I chopped quite small. Next time I would add another tbsp of the Splenda. That said let me assure you that it's very edible. A few mins after I took it out of the oven I discovered that we have a "fish truck" that comes to town twice a year. Yesterday was the day and I had to go check it out of course. After taking my time to look over his list and making a couple of purchases I returned to find that DH and DS took a coffee break and had enjoyed the warm banana bread with butter and honey. There was a scrap left for me to try *sigh*.
I am rating these a 5 based on the healthy factor. These are mighty good muffins for being so darn healthy! I really enjoyed the cashews, which I've never tried in a muffin before. I used Splenda in place of sugar. Next time, I might throw in one more tablespoon of Splenda. Thank you for such a yummy and healthy breakfast treat!