Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield one 9-inch loaf.
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, and then walnuts - make sure to press firmly with a flat bottomed object after each addition; make the layers as level as possible.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- BANANA NUT BREAD GIFT TAG:
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 3 ripe bananas, 1/2 cup solid shortening (Crisco), 1/3 cup buttermilk and 2 eggs.
- BANANA NUT BREAD INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, blend the bananas, shortening, buttermilk and eggs.
- Add the contents of the jar and stir just until combined; do not overstir.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove the bread and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Mom what a perfect gift to myself and hubby. Yep that is what I mean. I am sure this is great as a gift for others and I may do that but for me at this time of year I can make this up and take it to the cottage then just add in the "wet" ingredients and make the bread for summer breakfasts or late n9ght snacks. This will make my life so much easier and my minimal cottage cupboards less crowded.Now I can leave the gifts on the counter with no worries of ants or summer bugs and still leave cupboard space for the essentials. We love banana bread and to have it fresh during the summer will be great. I doubled the batches and added ground/chopped walnuts to one batch and left the other minus nuts for allergy guests this weekend. Made for Aussie Swap May 2013.