Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found online while searching for new canning recipes.
- 3 cups bananas, mashed (buy about 10 fully ripe medium bananas)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Fruit-Fresh Produce Protector, protector (optional)
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) box Sure-Jell, fruit pectin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon margarine (optional)
- 4 cups granulated sugar, measured into separate bowl
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups walnut pieces, lightly toasted
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- MASH bananas thoroughly. Measure exactly 3 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-quart saucepot.
- Add lemon juice and fruit protector; stir until well blended.
- STIR in pectin.
- Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired.
- Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
- ADD sugars; stir until well blended. Add walnuts and spices; mix well. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly.
- Process 10 minutes in a hot water bath or use the inversion method. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.).
Yummm! I made this my mom's birthday- she loves bananas, and figured I would give a few to others as gifts as well. Not sure how BearDreamer58 ended up with 13 half pints??!! I was only able to get 5 full enough to process with a 6th about 3/4 full (that we popped in the fridge and have been nibbling on). And, yes, I made sure it was exactly 3 cups of bananas (it took me 8 bananas). I only used about a quarter of the walnuts I toasted up- I thought it would be too many if I used the full amount. I made her some banana ice cream and this was soooooo good on top! It is a bit sweet by it's self (for my taste), but yummy!
Wonderfull recipe!!We have our own walnuts and got discount bananas,so it made unique and affordable Christmas presents. The only problem is it made 13 half pints, we had to scramble for jars!!Very Yummmy!!
This is the best recipe ever. It makes a hot biscuit taste like banana nut bread. It is fantastic on a pancake. Just spread it on and roll it up. I will be making this again.