Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This makes a great gift for friends and neighbors. If you wanted to, you could decorate with a pretty label and a circle of fabric under the jar ring.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 2⁄3 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease insides of 8 (1 pint) straight sided, wide mouth canning jars.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, bananas, and water.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Add to banana mixture.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour mixture into greased WIDE MOUTH pint jars, filling 1/2 full of batter.
- Do NOT put lids on jars for baking.
- Be careful to keep the rims clean, wiping off any batter that gets on the rims.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sterilize the lids and rings in boiling water.
- As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put on lid and ring.
- Jars will seal as cakes cool.
- Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to "ping" as they seal.
- If you miss the "ping", wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid.
- If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.
- Bread should be eaten right away or kept sealed in refrigerator for up to a week.
- **Cook time does not include sterilizing the lids and and rings in boiling water.