Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very moist bread, especially the next day...freezes well also. I sometimes add raisins.
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 3 -4 over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 2⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Pour into 2 loaf pans and bake for at least 1 hour at 350 degrees or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Easy to make and an excellent bread.
Terri Juwan -- This is excellent! Even better than I remember my Mom's being...I think the difference is the buttermilk! Perhaps that's the secret to the moistness...This is a new keeper in my family, and I can't wait to bake a couple of these loaves to give to my sisters -- they will flip! Thank you so much for posting this easy, but exceptional recipe! YUM!