Recipe by RecipeNut
Moist, nutty and delicious
Top Review by s'kat
The descriptor is dead-on right. I used black bananas, toasted the nuts before adding to the mix, and ended up supplementing the vanilla with a tiny bit of orange extract (ran a bit short on the vanilla). Instead of a loaf pan, I used a fluted tube pan: it baked in about an hour. As it cooled, I made up rum glaze, poked some holes into the cake, and poured it all around. Hope this isn't too much susbtituting for you! But it did come out quite wonderful, and ended up winning us some new friends at the B&B we went to this weekend. Thank you for this!
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups bananas, mashed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, and soda.
- Stir in nuts if desired.
- Pour batter into two greased 9x5 inch pans.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.