Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics. A bit different from her other banana bread as it includes buttermilk.
- 118.29 ml Crisco shortening
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 78.07 ml buttermilk
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts or 118.29 ml pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream shortening and sugar. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and add to creamed mixture. Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Pour into 2 well-greased loaf pans. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes.
- Note: Paula's original recipe indicated that it made one loaf and cooked for 40-45 minutes. It WILL NOT fit in 1 loaf pan and it definitely takes more than her stated time to cook.
I reduced the sugar to 1 cup and I'm glad I did. I omitted the nuts. I chose to do it in only 1 loaf pan. It seemed to fit so I tried. It gave me a nice big banana bread. Of course, I had to bake it for 1 hour and 15 minutes. But it's perfect. I wouldn't do it in 2 pans. The texture is great and moist. Thanks Sharlene :) Made for Bargain Basement tag game