Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an old favourite of mine! I enjoy this bread sliced and buttered with a morning cup of coffee! Mmm! DE-LISH! I have not included preparation time with this recipe - (2 hours 30 minutes in the Bread Machine and about 45 minutes spent rising in a warm place)
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 egg (to be beaten and MEASURED WITH the water)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup chopped mixed nuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup icing sugar (confectioners' sugar)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth and thin enough to drizzle over the banana bread!
- Place all the ingredients I've listed, with the EXCEPTION of the CHOPPED MIXED NUTS, into the Bread Machine- in the order that I have listed them inches.
- Select 'dough raisin' and press start.
- When the 'BEEP' sounds, add the chopped mixed nuts.
- Allow the bread machine to continue and complete the dough making cycle.
- When the cycle is complete, remove the dough and place in a lightly greased loaf tin, cover and allow to rise in a warm and draught free place, for about 45 minutes.
- When the dough has doubled in size, bake in oven pre-heated to 180°C for about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
- Glaze with *Chocolate Glaze* (if desired) while bread is still warm!
Very, very good bread. My wife has braces, so I ground the nuts. Next time around I'll sweeten it up some, but that's just our taste. I had to cook it for 40 minutes at 350F. Next time I'll use a 9x5 pan.
I baked this for a girlfriend's birthday and have been taking requests for it ever since! They liked that the banana taste wasn't totally overwhelming.