Recipe by LMillerRN
This is from Martha Stewart's new Baking Handbook. This is just wonderful. I especially like that it has coconut in it. YUMMY! This makes 2 9 x 5 loaves or 6 mini loaves. If making mini loaves reduce the baking time to 45 minutes.
Top Review by bassprobarbie
Some may question the addition of coconut to this banana nut bread, but it absolutely WORKS! The coconut is barely noticeable. The best part about this bread is that it is incredibly **moist**. Everyone who has tasted the ones I have made rave and rave about how wonderful it is.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups canola oil
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups ripe mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat pans with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs, sugar and oil on medium-low speed until combined.
- Beat in the flour mixture. Add the vanilla, banana, coconut, nuts and buttermilk and beat just to combine.
- Divide batter betwen prepared pans; smooth with an offset spatula.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the centers come out clean, 60-65 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove laves from pans and let cool completely.
- Bread can be kept at room temperature, wrapped in plastic, for up to 1 week, or frozen for up to 3 months.