Cook1 hr 5 mins
This is from Martha Stewart's new Baking Handbook. This is just wonderful. I especially like that it has coconut in it. YUMMY! This makes 2 9 x 5 loaves or 6 mini loaves. If making mini loaves reduce the baking time to 45 minutes.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups canola oil
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups ripe mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat pans with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs, sugar and oil on medium-low speed until combined.
- Beat in the flour mixture. Add the vanilla, banana, coconut, nuts and buttermilk and beat just to combine.
- Divide batter betwen prepared pans; smooth with an offset spatula.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the centers come out clean, 60-65 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove laves from pans and let cool completely.
- Bread can be kept at room temperature, wrapped in plastic, for up to 1 week, or frozen for up to 3 months.