Recipe by coolhennesy
I've tried many banana bread recipes and decided that something was still missing from each one I tried. So, I've taken a recipe from an old country magazine and modified it just a smidgen... I've use this recipe for a long time after my modifications and have always enjoyed the end results. I hope you enjoy this as much as I have.
- 2 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease bottoms only of 4 loaf pans, 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 inches or 2 loaf pans, 9x5x3 inches.
- Another option is to trace the bottom of a loaf pan on parchment paper, cut out and place at the bottom of the loaf pan.
- When baking is complete, the bread will come clean from the pan and the parchment paper can be peeled off the bottom and discarded.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until incorporated, set aside.
- Mix sugar and margarine in a large bowl.
- Stir in eggs.
- Add bananas, milk, vanilla extract and banana extract and stir until smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture, scrape sides of the bowl until moistened.
- Stir in nuts (optional).
- Bake loaves about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes then, remove from the pans.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Bread can be stored tightly wrapped in the refrigerator for up to a week or can be frozen using freezer bags.