Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Recipe source Chef John State of the Flying Fish Cafe. Posted for ZWT5.
Make and share this Banana Napoleons recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 300º.
- Whisk together egg yolks and 1/4 cup whipping cream and set aside.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups whipping cream and 1/3 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan. Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, scrape the seeds into the saucepan and add the vanilla bean halves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and discard the vanilla bean.
- Whisk about one-fourth of the hot mixture gradually into the yolk mixture, add to remaining hot mixture, whisking constantly. Skim air bubbles from the top of the mixture. Pour mixture into an 8-inch square pan. Place into a 13 x 9-inch pan. Add hot water to larger pan to the depth of 1 inch.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove pan from water and cool. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Raise oven temperature to 375º.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter. Stack phyllo, brushing each sheet with melted butter and sprinkling with powdered sugar. Cut phyllo stack into 16 (3-inch) squares. Place squares on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover with a sheet of parchment paper and top with another baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Cook remaining 1 cup sugar and remaining 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Slowly add remaining 1 cup whipping cream, and cook, stirring constantly, 8-10 minutes or until caramel color. Set aside.
- Cut chilled custard into 6 squares. Place one square on each of 6 dessert plates. Top each square of custard with 1 phyllo square. Drizzle a small amount of caramel sauce around custard.
- Stir together banana and remaining caramel sauce. Spoon evenly over phyllo squares. Top each with a second phyllo square, and garnish, if desired. Reserve remaining phyllo squares for other uses.