Recipe source Chef John State of the Flying Fish Cafe. Posted for ZWT5.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 5 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 bananas, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- whipped cream, grated chocolate
- 1Preheat oven to 300º.
- 2Whisk together egg yolks and 1/4 cup whipping cream and set aside.
- 3Combine 1 1/4 cups whipping cream and 1/3 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan. Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, scrape the seeds into the saucepan and add the vanilla bean halves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and discard the vanilla bean.
- 4Whisk about one-fourth of the hot mixture gradually into the yolk mixture, add to remaining hot mixture, whisking constantly. Skim air bubbles from the top of the mixture. Pour mixture into an 8-inch square pan. Place into a 13 x 9-inch pan. Add hot water to larger pan to the depth of 1 inch.
- 5Bake for 35 minutes. Remove pan from water and cool. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- 6Raise oven temperature to 375º.
- 7Melt 1/2 cup butter. Stack phyllo, brushing each sheet with melted butter and sprinkling with powdered sugar. Cut phyllo stack into 16 (3-inch) squares. Place squares on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover with a sheet of parchment paper and top with another baking sheet.
- 8Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- 9Cook remaining 1 cup sugar and remaining 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Slowly add remaining 1 cup whipping cream, and cook, stirring constantly, 8-10 minutes or until caramel color. Set aside.
- 10Cut chilled custard into 6 squares. Place one square on each of 6 dessert plates. Top each square of custard with 1 phyllo square. Drizzle a small amount of caramel sauce around custard.
- 11Stir together banana and remaining caramel sauce. Spoon evenly over phyllo squares. Top each with a second phyllo square, and garnish, if desired. Reserve remaining phyllo squares for other uses.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Napoleons
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 863.4
- Calories from Fat 565
- Total Fat 62.8 g
- Saturated Fat 38.4 g
- Cholesterol 291.2 mg
- Sodium 281.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 59.1 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: