Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe from chef Gerard Messerli at the Hyatt Regency Cerromar Beach in Puerto Rico makes 12 extra-large muffins with a crunchy cinnamon sugar topping. For rich banana flavor, use very ripe bananas. From "Caribbean Cooking" by John DeMers.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Butter 12 extra-large muffin cups.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed, cream butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, then beat in vanilla.
- Combine bananas and milk in a small bowl.
- On low speed, stir flour into egg mixture alternately with bananas, stirring just until combined.
- Spoon into greased muffin cups.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Makes 12 extra-large muffins.