Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are wonderful little muffins that are so quick and easy to make! The only point to remember is that you will need to use 'very ripe bananas' that have gone 'brown'. You may replace the milk chocolate with white chocolate, chopped nuts or even dried fruits if you wish. PLEASE NOTE: The important thing is not to over mix the batter - you do not want it smooth. Over-mixing the batter will yield tough, rubbery muffins.
- 245 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 50 g light brown sugar
- 65 g milk chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature and lightly beaten
- 115 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 450 g very ripe bananas, mashed well (approximately 3 large bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4/350F/180°C.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin cases or grease the insides very well with butter if not using the liners.
- In a large bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add in both sugars and chopped chocolate pieces and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter and vanilla.
- With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, lightly fold in the banana mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined and batter is thick and chunky (you should finish folding in 15 seconds and ignore the lumps in the mixture - DO NOT OVERMIX).
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If you have lined the tin with muffin cases, then remove the muffins from the pan and place on wire rack to cool, otherwise let it cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then transfer onto a wire rack to cool!
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
I had a bunch of spoiling bananas at the office and couldn't bare to see them go to waste. So i looked on food.com for a simple but delicious recipe for banana muffins. i found this one and its amazing. I followed the recipe to a T and they came out great. My co-workers exact words" these are the best muffins i have ever had. they are perfect. you should open your own muffin store." He is french and knows a thing or two about pastries. Great recipe!!!!
Extremely moist muffins! We enjoyed these so much. I tried to follow the advice of submitter, not over mixing the batter, just folded it, and they turned out wondeful. They rose up so big they came over and touched the each other.