Recipe by Rhubarbarella
These muffins are not too sweet and are filled with whole grains. The museli, sucanat sugar, and flax seeds help to lower the glycemic index. As with almost all baked goods, these muffins do not have a low glycemic load, so enjoy them in moderation. For the museli, I like to use Bob's Red Mill. You can substitute the muesli with granola, but it will increase the fat and calories. Enjoy!
Top Review by HawaiianBaker
These turned out great, though I made quite a few modifications - coconut oil instead of safflower oil, 1 extra banana, no sugar, and no flax (increased muesli to 1 cup). They make great muffins for kids. I think next time I'll add 2 or 3 extra bananas to give it more banana flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 bananas, very ripe & mashed
- 2⁄3 cup safflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar (sucanat or raw)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 banana, very ripe & coarsely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup muesli (homemade or store bought)
- 1⁄3 cup flax seed
- 12 banana chips, broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons muesli (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (340 degrees F if using a dark, nonstick muffin tin).
- In a large bowl, mix together all the wet ingredients (1 1/2 mashed banana, safflower oil, eggs, sugar, milk, and vanilla).
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, white flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda).
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing only until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Gently fold in the chopped banana, 2/3 cup muesli, and flax seeds.
- Line a standard 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. Spoon the batter evenly into the cups (it should be about even with the tops of the cups).
- Top the muffins with the broken banana chips and remaining 2 tablespoons of muesli.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.