Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from Parents magazine. I saw this, and knew it would be perfect to make for my son's first birthday party.
- 1 2⁄3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed banana, about 2 large
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup chocolate chips (mini chips ideal)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate chips
- 18 gingersnap cookies
- 18 miniature Oreo cookies
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) package white decorating icing
- 36 miniature M&M's chocolate candies, brown color
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 18 muffin cups. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, blend bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat in oil and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg. Alternately add flour and banana mixtures, ending with the flour. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill cups two-thirds full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool.
- To Decorate: Heat cream and corn syrup in a pan until mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat; add chocolate chips. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Glaze cupcakes with chocolate. Spoon extra into a plastic bag and refrigerate.
- Cut gingersnaps to make a mouth. For ears, separate Oreos and remove filling. Pipe on white frosting for eyes and top with M&M's. Snip a small corner from bag of chocolate; pipe on hair and nostrils.