Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
Adapted from the Penzey's spices catalog. These are very moist and speckled with tiny bits of chocolate. I fill my muffin tins very full,m so I actually only get 12 large muffins (which require more like 20-25 minutes cooking time), but if you prefer smaller muffins, you will get 16-18 by filling the tins 3/4s full.
- 1⁄2 cup sweet unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (really that much)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed banana (approximately 2 bananas)
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened miniature chocolate chip
- Grease 2 (12 hole) regular size muffin pans and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar together until combined well and fluffy.
- Add one egg, beat well; add second egg, beat well.
- Add vanilla and stir to combine.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Combine wet mixture and dry mixture using a spoon and stir just until all the ingredients are moistened- don't overmix and don't use an electric mixer or it will toughen the muffins (you can press out any big lumps with your spoon).
- Gently fold in the bananas and the mini chocolate chips.
- Spoon into muffin tins so they are 3/4 full- you will probably only have enough batter for about 18.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes in the pans, then gently slide a butter knife around the edges to help loosen any stubborn bits.
- Remove from tins and let cool or serve warm with butter.
These were very good, I had no non stick spray left, so I used muffin cups and I managed to get 24 muffins. It also took approx. 13 mins and they were very brown, but delicious!!
Yum! These are delicious muffins! I replaced half of the butter with applesauce and used Egg Beaters in place of the eggs to make them healthier, and they turned out sweet and chocolatey! I'll definitely be making these again!
These are great! I made mini muffins, got about 3 1/2 dozen minis in this batch. I made some changes: used applesauce instead of buter, only 1 cup sugar, and used whole wheat flour for 1/2 cup of the flour. They are excellent! Nice texture and plenty of sweetness. I definitely recommend them.